Thursday, August 7, 2014

4th or 5th week?! (sent July 29, 2014)

Hey family!

Thanks for all your letters I read them off my camera! Its so great to hear from all of you.
OK so its Peru's independence day (well actually I don't know if it is the 28th or 29th but they celebrate it both days) and the CCM (MTC) President and his wife decided to give all the missionaries a trip today. Which also meant that everyone's P-Day was today, and I only have 30 minutes to write you again. I cant wait to be in the field and not have a time limit, I hope I will at least have more than an hour, Its just not enough time! Anyways the trip was amazing! We went to the some ruins in Peru called Caral. They are so cool and over 5,000 years old (3,000 years before Christ). I guess its one of the first civilizations in ancient America. I will send you some pictures, it was so cool.

I cant believe I am already 4 weeks in, this is going by so fast. The first two weeks were really slow, but its going a lot faster now. I am amazed at what the gift of tongues can do. I'm now where near to completely understanding or completely being able to speak Spanish, but we went proselyting again last Saturday, and I was actually able to have real conversations with real Peruvian people! What a blessing it is to have a MTC here in Peru, all the teachers are native Peruvians that have served missions, so we have been learning the same Spanish that we will need in the field, and going out proselyting is being able to talk to the same people (more or less, a different area, but still) that we will be teaching. The first guy we went to was a less active member who hasn't been going to church because he works on Sundays. He was talking about his son and how he isn't able to move his legs because he had a broken back (or something that happened, I didn't catch exactly what happened). But I bore my testimony to him that we have the atonement to repent of our sins and also for all of our pains and sicknesses. I definitely felt the spirit so I hope he did too. Anyways, he said at the end of the lesson that he would go to church the next day. I don't know if he actually did, but I think he did. I also made a few contacts on the street. I went up to one of the lady's that made soup on the side of the road and basically just told her I represented the church of Jesus Christ of latter day saints and I gave her a pamphlet of our church and asked if she wanted to read it. She was genuinely happy and I was glad I gave her the pamphlet, her friend also wanted one and so I gave her one. It made me so excited to get out into the field to spread the joy of this gospel to the people of Peru.

Oh also, I forgot to say last week that I met Sister Pace's sister in the Peru MTC, Hermana Minner. It was so cool to meet someone related to some one in our ward. She just left today for her mission (I cant remember where she went to).

Anyways I am out of time but I love you all! I will try to send pictures but if they don't send in time I will send them next week (or when I can).

Love,

Elder Ryan Goff

No comments:

Post a Comment