Sunday, August 24, 2014

Finally in the Field (sent August 18, 2014)

Hey,
My email page was full of new letters since I have two weeks worth. The letter might have to be a little shorter since I took so long reading the letters. Luckily my new companion is really nice and patient! But it's so great to hear from all of you.
The last week of the MTC was crazy, but I honestly don't remember all of what I wanted to write about it since now it full of so many new thoughts from coming to Chiclayo. So I guess, I'll just start with the Airport. It was my first time getting of a plane onto the Tarmack (or what ever you call it) since the airport in Chiclayo is really small. The Mission President was there to pick us up which was really cool. That day we went to the beach and he gave a speech about a Spaniard that conquered Mexico and showed up in boats. When he got there he told everyone to burn the boats since they wouldn't need them anymore since they were going to conquer Mexico. That the simplified version of the story, but we made our own paper boats, origami style, and our president talked about how the boats represented our life before, and we've got to leave it behind and give all we have to the Lord for our mission. Then we got to burn the boats, haha, I will try and send a picture of it.
Any ways, my Companion is Elder Watkins, he's really awesome and we've been getting a long great. His Birthday is September 3rd so he's super close to Adam's age, and he's been out 13 months, close to how long Adam has been out. He kind of reminds me of you Adam, and the best part is he knows who Olan Rogers is, haha! Double fistapumps. (Sorry for those who don't know what that means, that was mostly for Adam, haha). He is from Morgan Utah, so it's been nice to have someone speak English and Spanish.
Speaking of Spanish, I don't know what anyone is saying down here! Haha, I've come to understand the questions I keep getting asked like "How old are you" and "How many siblings do you have". I also can pick out most gospel words, but most of the times during lessons with investigators I feel really lost, I just bare my testimony when my companion turns over to me and tells me what I can bare my testimony on (so it applies more or less to the lesson). One real cool experience was though, in the morning for personal study I came across Jacob 4:8 which talks about how we can't know everything about the mysteries of God, but we can pray and receive revelation. Then later in that same day, I was actually able to follow the lesson and found the perfect opportunity to share that scripture. The investigator was confused when we (and by we, I mostly mean my companion) were explaining the kingdoms of Glory in 1st Corinthians (thats right, its in the bible, so he was able to follow along with his own scriptures; the after life isn't just "Mormon" doctrine, Prophets in the bible testify of it too) and I shared that scripture with him. It wasn't planned or any thing and I was able to bare my testimony about it in Spanish. I know personal study can be inspired when you study with the spirit.
Also this last Sunday I was able to bare my testimony at the beginning of Sacrament meeting. The gift of tongues is real. Haha, my companion in I also got to be in the primary. You know I don't know Spanish very well when I can't even understand the kids that speak very simple Spanish. Oh well, I guess I'll just keep praying to understand these people. Maybe you all can pray for me too;)
I love you all thanks for all of your support.
Elder Ryan Goff

Elder Whitlock and I in the MTC

Burning the boat, and yes, of course its yellow

Me and my companion Elder Watkins



No comments:

Post a Comment