Thursday, August 7, 2014

First Week (sent July 9, 2014)

This week has been so awesome! First of I take back everything I said about the food! Haha, I was just late to breakfast that day so all they had was a slice of ham, a roll, some yougurt, and this nasty drink. I was thinking I was going to starve, then lunch came and I compleatly changed my mind, haha the meat and rice is amazing. I don't see my self getting tired of it.

In the CCM (Spanish verision of MTC) theres about 80 elders and 40 hermanas (sisters). That's a really rough estimate; so no a lot. It's been so much fun though. When Nathan whitlock comes next week I'll probably see him a lot since theres not a lot of people, we'll see each other a lot especialy at meal times. But I leave the day before Tanner, Garrett and Tyler (Randall) will come in. I'm a little sad about that, but I honestly can't wait to get out in the mission feild. So the first ( or second, I can't remember, all the days merge together in my mind) day, I was called as the district leader (my district has like 8 elders and two hermanas). It's a lot of pressure especially since I've never had a leadership position, but I'll do what the Lord wants me to do. It's taught me a lot. After watching some video's on the second day, I had my first opporutunity to kind of lead our district in a discusion about the videos. I never really hezited on what to say, I know the Lord was helping with that. I just can't wait till I speak spanish and he will do that! Any ways, district leader was a little scary at first, but it hasn't been too bad.

Just one random story. The first day I had my rubics cube out on my desk when they were talking about how we would be learning spanish. One of the teachers that was standing by and asked me if he could see it for a little bit, I smiled and nodded. It was funny since as he was playing with it a few other of the naitive teacher went over and watched him try and solve it. Haha, they're amazed when I can actually solve it.

There's Latino's here in the MTC that share our Dorm rooms. They are the funniest people you will ever meet. They only speak spanish so it super hard to comunicate with them sometimes. In our room, the Latino's are really nice, they teach us spanish phrases some times; things like exuse me most of the time, but most of the time they're just making jokes. We teach them english, just random words, their always asking how to say spanish words in english. As the week went on, we were able to comunicate better and better.
Sorry my thoughts are super scattered, but are the thoughts in my note book I used to write down points to tell you guys. The second day they told us that they invited investigators in for us to talk to. They were naitives and they spoke english. I was super nervous since I didn't know that we would be talking to investigators so early into the mission. Their names were Carlos and Jessica, they walked into the room full of missionaries. We all took turns talking about how god loves and how he answer our prayers. They were really confuse so I finaly raised my hand and explained that God can answer our prayers through revelation, I stood up and took the spanish Book of Mormon at the front of the room, that they told us we would be able to give them, and handed it them. I bore my testimony that God would answer our prayers if we pray sincerly and look for guidence when reading the Book of Mormon. My heart was pounding so hard and the spirt was so strong, after giving them the book, I went and sat down. Everyone was congradgulating me after and that I placed my first Book of Mormon in Peru. I was pretty excited about it, and I was telling some of the elders that have been here for a while that I didn't know they let us talk to investigators so early in the mission. They kind of laughed and asked if it was Carlos and Jessica, I was confused but told them yes. They said that they do that to all the new missionaries, but they are actually members. I was so disapointed, they were such great actors it felt so real. At least the spirit was real and it was a great expirence but I was still disapointed that I didn't actually give my first Book of Mormon in Peru. And sure enough, the next day "Carlos" was one of our District's teachers.

I've loved being in the MTC, they keep it super clean and every one is really nice. After awhile though everyone was itching to go out side the walls of the MTC. On monday I need to go to the immigration place along with a few other elders. They told us we need to fix something on our visas. I was super worried and was praying really hard that everything would be alright. I found out when we got there that the only thing wrong was that the paper that goes with the passport had two letter scribbled out. They had boxes for the last name first so when I started writing my name, I relized they wanted the last name instead so I scribled out the first two letters (even putting my initails next to it so they would know it was me that scribbled it out). It was anoying to have to go all they there to fix such a little thing. They gave us some new ones (Since we all had that problem, or simmilar problem) and we filled them out the right way. There was a lot of waiting but it wasnt too bad. It took like three hours for that simple mistake, but at least we were able to get out of the MTC and actually see Lima. I can't take pictures except on  P-Day, so I don't have any pictures of it but it was still fun.

We also got to go to the temple today! It was awesome, I just went through without the translator head phones since I've heard it so much in english. I understood what was going on but I had a hard time translating the spanish in my head, since I didn't know most of it. It was awesome, I got more garments, a mini spanish preach my gospel, leather bound scriptures, and an awesome peru tie.
I'm out of time so I'll talk to you next week!

Love,
Elder Ryan Goff

PS:  My pday is always on wednesday

No comments:

Post a Comment